Because dogs deserve the best, we made a bone broth beef picadillo, a dog recipe for pampered pooches—a collaboration with Brutus Bone Broth for dogs.
Both of my dogs, Bella and Rocco, have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), so I cook many meals for them, and they happen to love beef and bone broth. This recipe I made using the Instant Pot, making it easy to prepare.
This dog recipe makes four full half containers (500 ml or 2 cups per container), and it is freezer friendly, so if you want to double the amount, this is a perfect recipe to do so and have enough food for several weeks.
The beef picadillo recipe for dogs has lean ground beef (sirloin steak), oats, apples, butternut squash, coconut oil, and Brutus beef bone broth.
Why adding bone broth to my dogs’ diet?
I have been using bone broth to add to my dog’s kibble and make dog recipes such as this beef picadillo. Rocco and Bella appreciate the addition. It provides more flavor to their meals, and they eat happily. Always the bowl comes empty with no food left.
The beef bone broth is easy to digest, moistens the kibble, it is good for seniors dogs (can you believe that Bella is already thirteen years old?). Boosts the flavor of the food, especially when you have picky eaters. And the bone has glucosamine and chondroitin, which could help support joint health. Very important in senior and active dogs.
My Rocco is young and a runner. But shelties tend to have issues with their joints. Providing joint support is important to prevent injuries. I prefer to give the broth instead of a real bone because bones are difficult to digest.
I found this beef bone broth from the Brutus brand and liked it very much. It is a substantial broth with a nice amber color, not light, and not watery. I have used other brands, but this one is different. You can tell it is nutrient-dense and with collagen. Comes in a larger size packaged in tetra pack with a resealable cap, same as broths used for human food.
This brand also has chicken broth, baked treats, and convenient on-the-go travel size tubes with broth. It is available at many retailers, including Target, Petco, and Chewy. But you can buy it on their BrutusBroth.com website too. This is a made in the USA product, and it is women-owned.
Tips for making the bone broth picadillo for dogs using the Instant Pot!
Having an instant pot is a great idea. It saves time, and it is good for cooking human food and for making dog recipes too. I have two IPs at home, one for cooking my dogs’ meals and the other for my family’s dishes. If you do not have one, now is the time to consider buying one. You will not regret it!
I like cooking for my dogs because I know the ingredients I am putting in are real food and not over-processed components. However, this dog recipe is not intended to replace dry kibble. To provide all the vitamins that a dog needs, this recipe must be combined with a good quality kibble.
Following are our recommendations for preparing the bone broth beef picadillo for dogs:
Choose a lean beef picadillo. We like sirloin. If your pup is not into beef, replace it with lamb, turkey, or chicken.
Use oats. This are easy to digest and are good for gut health. A good replacement for oats is brown rice or barley.
Add a vegetable. I used frozen butternut squash, but carrots, sweet potato, or pumpkin work well too.
A second vegetable works. Good options are spinach or kale. Other options such as peas and broccoli, while good can upset sensitive stomachs, use small quantities.
Add a fruit. Dogs can eat certain fruits and apples are a good option. If not into apples then use blueberries or blackberries. Or skip adding a fruit.
Use coconut oil for cooking but use it in small amounts. Include a good dog-friendly bone broth to cook the recipe. I like the Brutus brand.
Bone Broth Beef Picadillo For Dogs
- Instant Pot
- chopping block
- Wooden spoon
- Freezer friendly containers with caps
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 pound ground beef lean sirloin
- 2 cups oats
- 2 apples cut into cubes
- 340 grams butternut squash frozen 1 – 12 ounces bag
- 1 package Brutus beef bone broth 32 ounces
- Set the Instant Pot on Saute mode. Add the coconut oil and let it melt. Then add the ground beef and saute until brown.
- Incorporate the oats, the apples, and the frozen butternut squash. Mix and continue cooking. Pour a full bottle of beef Brutus broth for dogs and mix.
- Close the Instant Pot and cook for 30 minutes on high.
- Do a quick release and serve the picadillo on top of the dry kibble.
- Replacement for beef is lamb, turkey, or chicken.
- Replacement for butternut squash is sweet potatoes, pumpkin, or carrots.
- Green vegetables work too. Good options are spinach or kale. Peas and broccoli, while good, can upset sensitive stomachs, use small quantities.
- Dogs can eat certain fruits, and apples are a good option. If not into apples, then use blueberries or blackberries. Or skip adding a fruit.
Follow our Google stories!
- Bone Broth Beef Picadillo for Dogs Recipe - February 4, 2021
- Dog Walks and why adding them to the daily routine - February 24, 2020
- LIFE magazine – Dogs Love and dependence - February 20, 2019